Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Why join ALIA Top End Committee?



With the ALIA Top End AGM close approaching (13 November) this is a good time to remind people about the not only to join ALIA but consider joining the ALIA Top End Committee.
Below Claire Nield from the Police Fire and Emergency Services Library explains the reasons why she joined ALIA:

Why did I join ALIA?
I work in a profession that is its own worst enemy at times and for many years I railed against that as loudly and probably as obnoxiously as I could.  But then I made a Decision (yes with a capital D). The following quote from Maya Angelou (poet, author and civil rights activist) describes the ‘D’ moment perfectly:
‘If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.’
I have been an ALIA member for a while; my input ‘tokenistic’ at the most but in response to my  light bulb moment I joined the ALIA committee.
We as a profession need to be professional – ALIA’s PD scheme is a really key initiative to ensure our skills and knowledges are state of the art and are recognised but we as professionals need to model best practice in our practice, share our stories, our ways of doing, our successes and failures so we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot and increasingly move towards significantly and meaningfully driving the quality of our future.
ALIA as a professional association has worked very hard on its relevance and its role as professional support but I feel over the last few years it has taken it to a new level and is driving recognition and change and I’m really glad to be part of that process. By the way if that means sometimes I have to sit through committee meetings when I’d prefer to be sitting with a glass of wine on my balcony, well I have to; because I want to contribute meaningfully to the quality of my future, our future.

the quote from Maya Angelou was found on the 14/7/14 at http://creatingminds.org/quotes/change.htm

No comments: